I jumped on the overnight oats bandwagon last week. I even bought chia seeds. It sounds a little crazy, and a little trendy, but they’re absolutely fabulous, and make my mornings a little bit happier. What is better than throwing ingredients together in a jar before you go to bed, and waking up to oatmeal? And you can put stuff in it that make it tasty, so it’s not overwhelmingly oaty. Just make sure your jar is big enough for the oats to expand overnight.
- Equal parts oats to yogurt to milk. I use:
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk
- Fun mix-ins. I like:
- 1 tsp Chia seed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- You can also add:
- Fruit. Sliced bananas or apple pieces.
- Berries if you like them. Personally I think blueberries go squish, but I know they’re really good for you!
- Peanut-butter or other nut-butter. A good helping of protein!
- Nutella. It’s just delicious.
- Measure the ingredients into the jar.
- I layer yogurt then oats then milk, and pile the mix-ins on top.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, you can grab and go or enjoy right at home.
- I like to microwave my oats to warm them up, but don’t microwave them longer than a few seconds, or else your yogurt will separate and it gets cottage cheesy.
- Give the oats a good stir, and enjoy!
Do you make overnight oats? What kind of mix-ins do you use? Do you have a favorite jar? I used to use tupperware, but I use an old French jelly jar now, because it’s pretty 🙂