Hi you guys! I know it’s been a long time since I’ve posted an actual recipe. Rest assured, I have been cooking, it’s just usually meals I’ve already shared. Last night I needed something to go with my salmon, and my rosemary plant is doing so well I thought I’d snip off some to add to my rice. This recipe is super easy and makes a great side dish, so I thought it would be a good one to share! I used white rice, actually paella rice, since I’m trying to use up what’s in my kitchen, but you could easily swap in whatever rice you prefer. I like to make all rice like risotto, but I’m not super-fussy about it. I just think it cooks faster if you don’t add all the liquid at once. I intended to make this rice like paella, and not stir it at all, but after a while it was obvious that my stove has some serious hot spots – some of the rice was still raw and some was halfway cooked, so I gave in and stirred it a bit. Still really easy and delicious. The broth adds flavor that water really can’t, without adding fat and calories like extra butter does.
Rosemary Infused White Rice:
- 1 large sprig rosemary, about 5-6 inches
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups good quality low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Heat the olive oil and the butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the rice and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add the rosemary.
- When rice has heated, add enough broth to cover the rice.
- When liquid has almost all evaporated, stir and add more liquid to cover.
- Repeat, simmering on medium, until cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- If you run out of liquid, you can use water. If you have liquid left over, that’s okay too.
I ate all the rice last night, and it was so good! What’s your favorite way to eat rice?